View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Second chapter: engine management

So, I’ve determined that to extract the best efficiency from the engine, the original engine management must be abandoned. Thing is, the car runs almost all of its body functions(lights, AC, power steering) through a BCM which needs communication with the engine computer to function. What I need to do to retain full functionality of the car is to have the factory PCM in place and receiving just enough data to show the BCM the car is running but with another engine controller actually running the show. So far what I’ve decided on using is the P11 ECM from the 2003-2005 Chevy Cavalier. That ECM has HPTuners support and can be edited unlike my original E16a PCM that’s not supported. That ECM also natively runs the first generation L61 by default so very little sensor changes would be needed, with the only challenge being how to feed data from my crank sensor and speed sensor to both controllers without their signal being distorted.

The changes to code that I wanna focus on are a leaner AFR under full power (they’re tuned rich from the factory), a “lean burn” mode at light load between 1500 and 2500RPM(45-75mph in fifth), an higher rev limit to take advantage of the better breathing (7200 versus 6450), and more ignition timing. In addition I’d like to modify the fuel and ignition tables for a certain intake temperature only, so I can spoof that temperature intermittently to be able to run E85 on command for more power

My last Ecotec project...
The Following User Says Thank You to 19bonestock88 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (03-27-2021)