View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
RWD does have better traction under acceleration (e.g. hill climbing) and AWD is even better. But there is also an advantage of having a FWD with less traction under acceleration, especially for a novice driver: it does a better job of reminding the driver that it's slick.

For an example, a FWD, RWD and AWD take off from a stop light on an icy road. The AWD might not even spin a single tire. The RWD will take off faster than the FWD. But the driver in the FWD will know that it's slicker than snot on a doorknob. When all three make it to the next red light, the AWD driver will naturally tend to try to stop as if the roads were dry. The RWD driver will naturally tend to slow down a bit earlier. But the FWD driver will likely be the most cautious as he or she approaches the next stop, all things being equal.

I actually have some friends that moved here a couple years ago and went and "made the mistake" of buying an AWD. Riding with them during the winter, they would wait until the last minute to slow down and stop and complain that there was a problem with the brakes. I put them in my car with FWD and violà! They tended to drive slower and take it easier coming to stop lights and signs.