View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_a_t_t View Post
The only time I've had an issue in the van (rwd, front heavy) was when I come into a turn too hot, but coasting through through the turn usually gets me through it. With the Mercury my problem was ground clearance in the only snow storm I've driven it in. They plowed the main road, but not the cross streets. However, the snow from the main road made a snow wall that my car couldn't clear. I had to keep momentum up and plow through it to not get stuck. Happened multiple times while I was in town. Ironically the wind blew all of the snow off the road once I was out of the city (and there wasn't any trees alongside the road).
In commercial driving school we were taught to slightly accelerate through corners to keep stability. Of course this was because usually we had more weight in the rear than in the front when loaded. That puts more traction over the wheels that normally lose traction first.

When there's more weight in the front then coating is the right reaction. That puts more traction on the front where you'd normally lose traction. Plus with a heavy front RWD you're prone to be thrown back into an oversteer with accelerator input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
How do you drift a FWD around a tight corner on a dirt track?
Changing where the weight is can help since a lot of weight in the front tires can cause the vehicle to go into an oversteer. But another part of the equation is that the way the suspension is tuned can have an effect of what losses traction first too. Different tires on the front and rear can have a big effect too. Then there's the hands brake. And of course driver technique. Although I'm not entirely sure how they do it since I've taken classes on street driving, not racing.