View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
lyd
It smells funny in here.

GeeOh - '97 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 33.41 mpg (US)
Anything wrong with filling up into the tank neck?

Heh. Can't seem to phrase that quite right. How many of you read that subject and thought, "well, where else would you put it?"

What I mean is, adding fuel until the level rises up into the neck. I vaguely remember having once read that this was bad practice, but I can't remember why and googling on the topic just now didn't enlighten me.

The reason I want to do this is that between the notoriously inaccurate Geo gas gauge (Just yesterday I found out I have a 10 gallon tank! For years I've thought it was 8 gal because that's what it takes when the needle is solidly at the bottom of the red.) causing me to fill up early, the tendency for any pump to kick off unpredictably when filling this car, and a small tank size in any case, the percentage variance between one fill and the next can be so high. In order to try to be more consistent I've started, with the last fill, continuing to pump gas into it until I hear it come right up into the tank neck. Seems like that should help get the variance down to a reasonable margin. I've been doing the same pump, same direction thing all along, of course.

Any trouble with this?