View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #119 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
I really like what you are doing. Inspiring seems too cliche. Since my daughter's XJ doesn't see much offroad use, some of what you have done might be applied.

But I can't see doing much underbody on my Grand Cherokee as it sees a lot of offroad use. I've said elswhere that it will be lifted soon and this past weekend I switched from 30" tires to 31" tires. As a starting point I went with the same tire pressures as I was using before, so we'll see what the MPG hit is. And it will soon be going 2" higher as well.

I like the underbody work, but to be any benefit to me, it would need to be more sturdy. I like the work you did with the front axle and the deflectors you made under the lower control arms, I'll be adding skidplates there instead for durability, but nice that it will also allow air to move over that spot better. I guarentee that deflector under the center of the axle wouldn't last long with me. And with the 2" lift, I'm replacing all the front stamped control arms with tubular arms. While an improvement in strength, not likely to help aero, but MIGHT cut down on some turbulence under the rig.

I haven't driven the ZJ much of late, my kids are using while I have their 4x4s in my garage, again... Daughter's XJ blew a headgasket taking her to college. Towed it home with the ZJ and still managed almost 19 for the 150 miles... Son's Ranger was finished but then we tore the front suspension apart and are waiting for a new axle...

Keep up the great work. I see some bits I can apply!!!