View Single Post
Old 04-01-2021, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
5 LiFePO4 cells fall within the voltage limits of one block of 12 cells for the NiMH Toyota BMS system, so voltage shouldn't be a problem. And as long as the cells are rated for the amperage that shouldn't be a problem either.

Thermals, mainly the cold, are what could be a major problem. It can hit -40°F(-40°C) here where I live too. Not that making a battery heater isn't impossible.

I wonder if it's possible to make an ultracapacitor pack that's small enough to be cost effective yet big enough to start the car and run in a pretty much gas-only mode. I do believe that in cold weather that's pretty much what my Toyota Hybrids do anyway since the NiMH seem to have very high resistance characteristics.

Balancing is also a question I'd have.

But ya, they guy seems to exagerate a bit.

On a somewhat similar topic, anyone know how Winston LiFePO4 cells do in the cold? They supposedly have added yttrium to help with the cold and are rated to -40°F (-40°C). I've thought about filling the back of my Prius up with 40AH Winston cells hooked up in blocks of 5 and directly replacing the NiMH cells. They are only rated at 120 amps which would be just on the limit of what the Prius will do.