View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 04:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Third chapter, and perhaps most important, the engine block

So I wanna visit and discuss the last piece of my puzzle, the engine block. As it is, I have a couple different options to get a fresher block in it.

First major choice, either find a low mileage (under 60K) short block to use. Obviously comes with the peace of mind that if it ran before pulled it’ll be solid and there’s less potential for me to screw it up, with a factory GM block, but with the drawback that not removing the rotating assembly means I can’t improve upon its balance or do major changes to static compression ratio or upgrade the internals, OR I can find a higher mile unit with the intent to tear it apart, save a little up front but spend more later and be confident that everything has been overhauled snd I can precisely balance the pistons and rods, as well as lighten the crankshaft (rebalance for lighter components) or do big increases to compression ratio (they make pistons up to 14.5:1) or engine capacity (de-stroke to 2.0L or bore/stroke to 2.4L

Second choice, and is mainly only available if i choose to open it up, is about engine capacity. I can do a smaller but more rev happy 2.0L and lose some torque or I can switch to a 2.4L block and gain some grunt but lose some rev happiness above 7K

All equal I’m still planning balance delete snd probably a lightened crank pulley/harmonic damper

My last Ecotec project...