View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #108 (permalink)
Jeece
C12 H23 burner

Jeece's Jetta - '99 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI
90 day: 42.49 mpg (US)
I'm officially a graphic designer in a small printshop (4 employees: the boss, his wife (secretary/book-keeping), a pressman and me). This means I do everything from the initial customer contact to pre-press (except setting prices).

Job is ~30 minutes from home, in another town, it's all countryside commuting, no traffic jams. Another good thing is there's 3 different routes I can choose to travel by, all within a 2km and 3-4 minutes gap.

When I did my designer studies (and a bit after that), I worked as a security officer for a little bit more than 3 years. First contract was in a railroad spike factory, I had to monitor a spike furnace during weekends when nobody was working (as well as checking for intrusions, vandalism, etc). They left it running at lower temperatures (1600°F) since it'd take too much time for it to warm up at 5-6000° (IIRC) on Monday mornings if they turned it off. Second contract was in an intermodal yard for a trucking company - they took trailers on and off flatbed train cars. Trucks also came in to pick up and drop trailers. I had to keep the van inventory and monitor the truckers (who picks what, etc), and also check for any intrusions. For this job, there wasn't any building on site, so I had to stay in my car... for 12 hours shifts. Even in Winter. Canadian Winter. Sometimes a trucker who lived nearby left his truck in the yard, and let its engine run 24/24 for the weekend (to prevent starting troubles on Monday morning!). At least he let the on-duty security officer sit in his truck when he did so. The train locomotives in the yard were also never shut off during Winter. Such a waste! In all those months of security, I only had to intervene once for trespassing - told a guy to leave the area, but he was just an inofensive train nuts.

After security, I worked in an IBM plant, where they assembled chips for Xbox360, Wii and PS3.

I love what I do now, but I'd also like to be a teacher (French, 1st language) or stand up comic.