View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
livewire516
EcoModding Lurker

Matt Foley's worst nightmare - '09 Chevrolet Express 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Just remember there were different versions of the Vortec 4800, so I'm not sure if the one fitted to your van had ever featured a manual even in Mexico....

...For me it's quite surprising to see so many Americans actually enjoying the manuals, while automatics have been prevalent there.
Yeah, I have the LY2 - I'll have to check if what was used in Mexico during those model-years.

--------

I think dealerships, (who are automakers' real customers), did a really good job selling Americans on automatics in the 20th century. More reasons for the car owner to come back to the dealer for services.

A less cynical explanation may be with our 'lazy liters'/large displacement motors, it's flatter power-band meant it's less critical if you're in the optimal gear. Also, since they're generally revving lower, with deeper/lower-pitched intake and exhaust noise, I think it's less unpleasant. That's completely subjective, but my old Firebird sounded fantastic humming along at 1800 rpm on the highway. Driving smaller displacements engines at similar engine and road speeds, I appreciate good sound deadening lol.

Another explanation may have to do with American car enthusiasts' preference for drag racing. Once you begin to modify a large V8, you're likely going to exceed the transmission's torque capacity. Once you get some good and bitey tires, you're probably going to ruin your rear differential. That gets expensive quickly - I think it's generally easier to find/build a beefy automatic.

Nonetheless, I always try to get a manual transmission in my cars when I can.

Last edited by livewire516; 04-04-2021 at 11:01 AM..