View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire516 View Post
I think dealerships, (who are automakers' real customers), did a really good job selling Americans on automatics in the 20th century. More reasons for the car owner to come back to the dealer for services.
Sure they're less dumbproof than manuals when it comes to maintenance procedures. I see many people claiming to prefer manuals because they can service it with fewer resources, and recently I even saw a man changing the clutch disc of a Peugeot 306 with improvised tools to lift the engine instead of jacking to lower the transmission.

Quote:
A less cynical explanation may be with our 'lazy liters'/large displacement motors
Just look at how longer it took for automatics to become closer to mainstream in other regions, not only due to the inherent cost and technical complexity of an automatic but also due to the fuel costs and tax structures which favored smaller engines.

Quote:
Another explanation may have to do with American car enthusiasts' preference for drag racing.
No wonder it's still quite usual to see the 2-speed PowerGlide retaining some cult-following among drag racers, even in other countries.