View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 07:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
livewire516
EcoModding Lurker

Matt Foley's worst nightmare - '09 Chevrolet Express 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Lifting or lowering an Express is difficult. The rear is simple - swap the axle over the leaf spring instead over it or use custom shackles. The front in the difficult part. All the lift kits use custom spindles - I suspect that is the only way to drop the front and keep the geometry. You could go with lower profile tires. That would drop the van but also raise RPMs which might require new gearing.

... the same amount of lift on a full size van is about $2500.

Those commercial ladder racks do catch a lot of air. I suspect you would have no trouble finding someone willing to buy it if you decided to get rid of it permanently. I decided to make my own low-profile rack with aluminum 80/20. I'll be adding a 3rd solar panel for a total of 300 watts shortly and shortening my 80/20 to fit. After that it will get a front spoiler. If I didn't need to carry rafts and boats I would have just mounted the panels to the roof directly.
Wow! Yeah, I hadn't looking into modifying the suspension yet. I doubt it'll ever become a priority.

I really don't know how I'm going to use the above roof space yet. Until then, it's coming off. But I can't lie: I'm seeing those roof rack mounted decks and I'm tempted!!