View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
I enjoy speculating and suspect your hunch is correct. As the economy goes into hyperdrive, demand for energy will also increase.

Most people looking for tips to increase MPGs want something like "replace your spark plugs with these unicorn ones". They want to buy their way (but not too expensive) into solutions.

Regarding reducing fossil fuel burning and foreign oil dependence, I maintain that the only way to do this effectively while presenting the least disruption to the economy and providing the smallest footprint for political corruption is to increase the cost of fossil fuels via taxation.

Schemes like paying wealthy people to purchase EVs are braindead. Only corrupt or ignorant people would pursue such a dumb idea. It lacks any specific goals, so you know it's nonsense.

Environmentalists (the real science type), Medical Doctors (experts in how air quality affects the body), National Security Experts (those that understand risks of foreign oil dependence) and Economists should collaborate to define consumption targets and then develop a tax schedule that phases increasing taxation to meet that agreed upon and clearly stated goal. Tear up all the other nonsense schemes that are mostly regressive tax breaks to the wealthy. Let the market do what it does best to solve the problem of gradually increasing energy prices; innovate.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (04-10-2021)