View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
They have 0w-50 now, but maybe that's too expensive for your eco-project.

And you can swap that Infinity for a proper slow car like an old Prius now, just add a bumper sticker that says: "My other car is an Aston Martin"
I got the Infiniti because it was the cheapest Japanese, somewhat modern manual trans car I could find, with the intention of getting rid of it in a year (I only have a temporary need to drive a lot right now, I would normally drive well under 1000 miles a year). I almost bought an old BMW, but got scared off by stories about replacing water pumps every other year.

I'm not buying a Nissan product ever again...maybe I have a bad example, but all the plastic bits are crumbling apart (it's a 2004, not that old...), there are tons of things that seem to be intentionally designed to rattle from the factory, and apparently all the weird unhealthy noises from the drivetrain are completely normal.

At some point in the future, I plan to add an ultra-light sports car again for a more carefree and raw/fun driving experience. I took the Vantage on a twisty hill today, and the width of the car made me very uneasy on narrower roads.

AFAIK, 0w-50 only exists as racing oil, which is a no-no. Mobil1 0W-50 racing has very similar specs to Redline 0W-40, but Redline oil is crazy expensive. Mixing 0w-40 and 5w-50 would get something close for 40% the cost. Mobil1 5w-40 or 10w-40 would be similar but not quite as good, meeting ACEA A3/B3 with HTHS of 3.9 cSt.

Last edited by serialk11r; 04-09-2021 at 06:28 PM..