View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 11:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Road trip today! A lot of findings from watching the mpg gauge...mostly bad. It appears I went through approximately 16 gallons in 285 miles, though the first 4 I burned while trying to diagnose rattles and driving around town for fun, so today I got more like 20-21 mpg.

6th gear cruise control flat ground: 26mpg @ 50mph, 24mpg @ 60mph, 22mpg @70mph, a little under 20mpg @80mph. Wow, this is more awful than I expected.

Pulse and glide got me to 26mpg averaging about 75mph. The one good thing about the short 6th gear is it climbs hills pretty efficiently, I managed to get 19mpg climbing the Sierra Nevadas @ 75mph (going slower doesn't help all that much, you just end up idling more and losing efficiency on the pulses). 3600lbs and reasonably low drag makes the glides very long.

I was wondering why the fuel level gauge was dropping so rapidly when I hit some slower traffic...I noticed later on that THERE IS NO DFCO in gears 1-4 (it does DFCO in 6th gear, but I didn't check 5th). That's also why shifting seems so sluggish, it loses revs slowly since it's still injecting fuel.

So basically, I really need to get this ECU tune sorted out.