View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I meant more family oriented cars.
Of course. Well, considering Volkswagen used to be praised for the mild off-road capability of the Beetle and its derivatives exactly due to the weight bias and the rear-engined RWD layout, as it was (and still is) quite a valuable asset in rural areas and even in the outskirts of larger cities, it's quite easy to figure out why so many folks who get a front-engined FWD only do so due to the absence of a modern family-oriented rear-engined RWD econobox. Even though 4WD could be seen as ideal, and it's not rocket-science to implement even to relatively small vehicles, both the purchase and maintenance costs become an issue harder to address than the handling of a modern RWD with all the electronic nannies which are becoming mandatory even in third-world places.

Quote:
I can see why they'd do that to a sports car.
A few days ago I had a talk with a taxi driver, and pointing out the Porsche 911 retaining its traditional layout while most econoboxes went front-engined and FWD, we got to agree RWD econoboxes would still be desirable, even if their weight bias would be around 50-50 instead of 40-60.