View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #44 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
So far vehicles build on dedicated EV platforms have been mostly switching to RWD standard with AWD as an option. Tesla, VW, and Hyundai / Kia have RWD as standard. We will likely see the same thing when Toyota shows us their first e-TNGA vehicle later this week.

Motor cooling tends to be integrated with the battery which is centered under the car so FWD or RWD doesn't matter as much

There are no mechanical throttles or shifters so that doesn't matter.
Most modern cars don't have mechanical throttles either.

I read VW is going to get rid of FWD for good too.

So RWD and FWD have different advantages and disadvantages when on the move. I can't say one is better than the other in those regards and is more a personal preference than a this is better than that. Front bias and rear bias both feel different. Having the rear end swing out, even just a litte, is something you either love or you hate. (Ask my wife). Having the front just keep going straight is something you either prefer or you don't in comparison to the alternative.

But where FWD really shines is when you're stuck in deep snow or mud. RWD only gives you two options; FWD gives you six. I think car manufacturers know this and are eager to sell AWD vehicles to those of us who have become accustom to that feature of FWD cars.

Reading the GT2 manual:

Quote:
"...There are some handling advantages for the FF (front engine/front-wheel drive) design. Because the weight of the engine and transmission is over the driven axle, traction in wet or slippery conditions can be very good. At steady speeds or under a low rate of acceleration in poor conditions, a front-wheel drive car can outperform a rear-wheel drive car. Front-wheel drive cars have a long history of success in rallying because of their abilities in poor conditions. Forward weight distribution also contributes to stability...

"...The MR (mid-engine/rear-wheel drive) design can also decrease the frontal area of a two-seat sports car, and allow other aerodynamic advantages. But perhaps the most imortant advantage of the design for a high-performance vehicle is that it concentrates the vehicle's mass near its center of gravity. This decreases its inertial resistance to quick changes of direction, increasing maneuverability. Because of this maneuverability, a mid-engine car can be set up to make full use of its tires and corner faster by having a small amount of oversteer designed in. That can make it very nervous and tricky to drive at the limit. It takes skill and fast reactions to be able to drive such a car well, but a skilled driver can take full advantage of a mid-engine car's cornering abilities..."