View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Have you ever successfully used stop leak?

The last time that I checked Shouty had 7 videos promoting it and Eric the Car Guy has this video showing how it makes everything worse:
However, he shows copper-colored stuff on the head gasket. I don't know too much about head gasket sealers, but I do know that many people use copper adhesive on head gaskets, which is almost as bad as using head gasket sealers.

I looked into head gasket sealers the other day and it seemed like there were tons with high reviews on Amazon, but now I only see 5 with 3+ stars: Bar's Leak 1111, Blue Devil, Blue Devil Pour and Go, Steel Seal, and K&W Fiberlock.

Steel Seal has versions for 4, 6, and 8 cylinders, as well as a 12-pack. Blue Devil has a package with coolant sealant.

The rest seem to be adhesive and sealants (gasket maker).

There are 3,696 reviews and people paid $120 for a product for V8s with 3.9 stars and $90 for the 4-cylinder version with 3.4 stars. People paid $164,555.06 for these 5 products through Amazon and the best is only rated 4.1 stars.

You could buy a Mahle or Fel-Pro head gasket for $25 or an OEM one for $78, so it is $2-5 cheaper than the actual part to do it right, but you are talking 30-60 minutes versus what?

One to two days?

I mention this because this 1998 Frontier with a blown head gasket posted yesterday for $350.

Check out this beauty!

Ah yeah!

Now, they also say that it doesn't run, but that is what they want you to think!

No, they wouldn't lie about that.

So, it doesn't run. Does it start, but not run. Is this the classic "Ran when parked! I know what I got!" situation?

Well, hopefully not for $350.

I am not a mechanic genius man, but I would think that a blown head gasket would allow a engine to start unless they drove until it wouldn't go any further.

Two questions: Did they destroy the engine and\or does it start (or did it start when parked)?

Not starting could be a different issue.

It really seems like there are too many variables, but I have always wanted to try one of these products for myself--on a car that would be scrapped.
  1. Try to talk down the owner to $250.
  2. Try to get it running cheaply.
  3. Spend $19.50 on Bar's Stop Leak (4.1 stars with 788 reviews), follow the directions, and document everything on video.
  4. If it works, sell it as-is for a slight profit, if not have it junked and hopefully recover most of my money.
However, all of those variables make it sound too risky.

What do you guys think?

By the way, I once asked WatchJRGo about a Nissan Sedan that also had around 200,000 miles and he said with that mileage I should replace the engine.

I think it had a blown head gasket, too.

The ones that I find are around $1,000 and that seems like a terrible idea.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1998 FRONTIER.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	30458   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998 FRONTIER 2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	30459