View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Autobahnschleicher
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I assume you want to make this change so you can rotate tires, but if the wheels aren't that same, that would be ill advised and maybe even impossible.

So 2 questions:

What vehicle are we talking about? Does the vehicle have different wheels front to rear?

What process does TUV use for such a change?

(OK, that was 3 questions!)
My car is an MR2 Spyder, as it weights less than 1000kg the load rating is not an issue.
The tire in question has a load rating of 86, meaning 530 kg per tire, or 1060 kg per axle.
Beeing able to rotate the tires is indeed part of the reason for going down in rear tire size as my rear tires wear faster than my front tires, but so is the lower rolling resistance and slightly reduction of aerodynamic drag.
The main issue with the TÜV is them checking if the tire fits properly in there and the tire is suitable (speed, load rating and so on).
As neither fitment nor ratings are issues for my car, I see no issues there.

According to the EU label for efficiency I might be looking for fuel savings around 0,5L/100 km over my rather inefficient performance tires.
That's the difference between 40 mpg and 44 mpg, ignoring the difference in size and pressure.