View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyd View Post
Hmm. Regarding expansion, if I just make sure to fill up on the way out to drive rather than on the way home to park, does that pretty much solve it? Even with the Metro's mileage, it can't take long to burn through that bit of gas.
You are probably correct, but that would depend on the necks shape

Quote:
The canister problem I don't understand. Could someone expand on how this could kill it?
Sure thing

Essentially the evaporative emmissions canister is a charcol filter designed to catch fuel vapors esc aping from your tank, collect them, then release them in to your intake manifold to be used as fuel when you strart the car.

Issue is that they are designed to work with gas/ vapors (the state of matter) if they receive liquid fuel (at least in the case of my 87 supra) the charcoal turns in to mush and no longer does its job.

Quote:
I don't understand the dumping fuel into the intake comment either.
If your car doesn't have an evaporative emissions canister, then chances are the vent line goes straight to the intake (air cooled vw did this) If i filed it all the way up I'd get surging while cornering left due to the liquid fuel being poured down the carburetors throat.

Quote:
There is some possibility my canister might be dead anyway. I read a comment recently that suggested that with a functioning canister your tank won't ever go psssshhhhht when you take the cap off, and mine does sometimes.
Going t ask someone else that one.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon