View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
mower is kaput!

The 'Tesla' mower didn't let me down, but I sure let her down.
I've used it for bush-hogging and trail-blazing through our commie 80-acres of park land.
The good news is, that neighbors helped, chain-sawing small trees and invasive privit. The bad news is that some of the stumps were tall enough for the mower's blade to crash into at full-rpm.
After a few years of that, I managed to reduce the motor's lower bearing to dust. The shaft wanders around and it's no longer dynamically stable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOWE'S does not supports parts nor service for the mower. And they no longer sell a 80-Volt mower.
Of all the places locally, which sell 80-V EV mowers, I'm down to Harbor Freight as the single source. They're sold out right now. For a week. I've never experienced a hand tool or power tool from them, so I'll do the gamble. Their Li-ion pack has a higher A-H rating than KOBALT. Price is comparable with what I have.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denton lost it's only motor repair shop over a decade ago. Dallas would be a minimum 200-miles in round-trips.
When things slow down, I'll pull the damaged motor, crack it open, and see if I can press out the remains of the zorched bearing and replace.
Worst-case, I'll attempt an auxiliary bearing outboard of the original location, and dedicate the motor to an EV bike project. My mad-scientist electronics wizard brother says adding a variable speed control is very easy. 555-chip, a pot., and a few other goodies on a breadboard. And sniff the solder fumes.