View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 12:15 AM   #43 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
There were lots of cars and not necessarily much more powerful than the rest, but each was cool in its own right.
This makes a lot of sense. Nowadays it's somewhat hard to identify some feature which would really make some random car stand out of the crowd.

Quote:
The older air cooled VW's and the muscle cars were still driving in their natural habitat.
I still see air-cooled Volkswagen on a regular basis. Local equivalents to what a muscle car would be, on the other hand, only occasionally I see one.

Quote:
Even minivans were cool since you could also go for a mid-sized Chevy Astro or Ford Aerostar. Or you could get a mid-engine super-charged Toyota Previa.
This may explain why I actually consider minivans quite enjoyable, while so many folks look at them with some unjustifiable disdain.

Quote:
Today we live in the CUV invaded apocalypse. If you want a vehicle you get a grey CUV. If you want to be cool you get a grey CU-EV. If you really want to really stand out you get a blue CU-EV.
Makes me wonder when will a compact double-cab coupé-utility be labelled the conservatives' "car" of choice. On a sidenote, recently the Corolla Cross CUV was released in my country. Even the highly-conservative Corolla turned into a CUV.

Quote:
  • A lot of people rent and don't have a way of installing a 240V level 2 charging system on the apartment. But if the car is efficient enough they could maybe get by with just running a 120V 15A extension cord to their car out the apartment window.
  • If the car is ultra efficient you won't need such expensive quick charging infrastructure, lower wattages would suffice. Or charge up much faster with such chargers.
  • Cars could be priced lower with smaller batteries and still get you as far or father than they can now.
All of these things would be the benefits of ultra efficient EV's. Or we can just keep driving lame, boring sedans and CUV's forever and ever.
Whenever I see something too fancy being highlighted as "eco" simply for being electric, it actually seems quite pointless. Had it been really about "the planet" or whatever excuse to get a Porsche Taycan or a Tesla, I'm sure there would be a greater demand for something comparable to the Aptera.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (04-17-2021)