View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 08:01 AM   #119 (permalink)
planetaire
EcoModding Lurker

Planetaire - '07 Toyota Prius 2 plug in
90 day: 195.47 mpg (US)
Hi

I use since 10 years a toyota prius in electric mode only. I close the front totally except in summer when temperature is say 30°C or more. When the front grill est blocked, the drag needed due to colling is zero Newton and zero percent of the total drag.
At the opposite, previously, 11 - 12 years ago I drove the same car in hybrid mode, I can very rarely close the front grill, the engine could quickly goes over 95°C.
So I am sure that in electric mode this car need much less cooling then in gazoline mode.

A second point is that pourcentage is not the value I would prefer, Newton is more suitable because for a car having a gazoline version and an electric version, the Cd of the electric model is lower (E-niro... for exemple). So using a pourcentage of a number lower is not a very good way if the purpose is to compare two type of energy.

A third point is that actual ev car have a grill shutter (Ioniq, ID3, ID4...). If you want to know the cooling drag, Newton or %, you need to know when this grill is open or not.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to planetaire For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-21-2021), freebeard (04-17-2021), Isaac Zachary (04-17-2021), ME_Andy (04-18-2021)