View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #140 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Re the above discussion of cooling drag of trucks vs cars, etc. Lots of good points, but all of which makes things more complex ie more guesswork needed.

Which is why I don't guess. I look at the published data.

At this stage, the published data shows that cooling drag of BEVs, as a proportion of total Cd, is quite high - and certainly not the zero or near zero that as been claimed by some people here.

As more data on other cars is released, that may change - fine.

Or it might be that, for a variety of reasons, cooling drag of BEVs remains proportionally high.

I don't know - I don't guess and make up theories. I don't have an established position that I then need to defend tooth and nail. My position is based on the research evidence that is published, which compares the cooling drag of BEVs with total drag, as compared to the same with ICE vehicles.

I don't really understand why people have barrows that they push so hard. I don't care whether the cooling drag of BEVs is low or high (proportionally) compared with ICE cars. It is what it is!

In this subforum this occurs again and again - totally covered wheels, 'template' shapes, defining separated / attached flows, etc. People have a position that they fight tooth and nail for, irrespective of what published research - and most often modern research - shows.

It's really weird.