View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 31.19 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Stranded in Mesa, Arizona

Stranded is an exaggeration, but this is an interesting comparison to September.

I visited my girlfriend and stopped to visit a friend whose CEL just lit and another friend whose husband is in the hospital.

The vehicle should be fine. I asked if she wanted me to bring down my tools next weekend and she said "I will have the friend that fixed my brakes look at it."

Why didn't she call him in the first place?

Hopefully the husband of the other friend gets better from this particular thing, but he has long-term problems that aren't going away.

I was trying to find the freeway to get out of town and my CEL lit. I pulled over and got a P0740, Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction. All that I saw that I could do was check the fluid. It was a little low, but I didn't see any glitter. Symptoms
Quote:
Check engine light
Delayed, harsh, or erratic shifts
Engine stalling
Transmission shudders/shakes when coming to a stop or accelerating
Getting stuck in a gear
Vehicle won’t move when in gear
Decreased fuel economy
Overheated transmission
Why yes! I do have a CEL! Thanks for asking!
Shifts have been delayed for a while, but haven't we all?
How does the engine stall when you have a transmission problem?
Not that I noticed.
You mean delayed shifts?
Yes! Aside from this road trip, driving around the Phoenix area, and no, thanks for asking.
Yes! I only got 34 MPG on my last tank!
Let's not go down the rabbit hole of Symptoms of an Overheated Transmission.

Causes:
Quote:
Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid / filter
Damaged wiring/connector
Faulty torque convertor clutch solenoid / TCC solenoid
Faulty torque convertor and/or clutch assembly
Internal pressure issue
Valve body issue
TCM failure
The fluid was nice and clean. I believe that I replaced it when I changed the timing belt.

It sounds like I need an adult!
Quote:
To determine what is causing this DTC, a mechanic should first assess the condition of the transmission fluid, as dirty ATF can keep the TCC solenoid from working properly. The wiring and connectors should also be inspected for damage and corrosion. If no issues were found by this stage, then the torque convertor and TCC solenoid will have to be tested.
I am going to a transmission shop the first thing in the morning!

It is fun, I have been looking for something newer and in better shape for a while now, or a parts car, and nothing has worked out, but now I need to make it work. There is this 2002 with 200,000 miles for $2,700.. As I noted elsewhere, that does seem to be the KBB value, although for some reason it is $469 higher than Kelley valuates the 2001 with the same mileage.

I mentioned to the Prius salesman that I always hear legends of $300 low mileage Japanese engines. He said that it was real, although he paid $400 for one for his daughter's Nissan. He mentioned 3 places in Phoenix and I couldn't find anything for either of my cars, although I found some stuff elsewhere.

I think the low-mileage engine and transmission combinations that I found were around $1,000. I found one with unspecified miles for $525.

Car-part.com has one with 110,000 miles for $980, unspecified miles with a one-year warranty for $450, and unspecified miles with a 6-month warranty for $375.

I wish that I had been able to look at the $900 1998 Accord. I told Mom that the best place to store a drivetrain was in the original vehicle.

The thing is, the $900 Accord had fewer things wrong with it than my car (before the CEL), so I was thinking maybe it wouldn't be the parts car.

It turned out that I wasn't stranded in September. I had a CEL, but in the end couldn't do anything about it, so I drove home, and waited for a warranty replacement for the starter.

I was in Tucson, though, which is further from Show Low than Phoenix, especially if I don't drive through the canyon. If I choose the hour-long canyon drive without a passing lane, shoulder, or cell service it is 188 miles, although the canyon itself is 35 MPH. The long way (through Phoenix) is 218 miles, although you have higher speed limits, passing lanes, and cell service.

Since I didn't have the CEL when I left I tried driving the short way, drove from Globe to Mesa trying to find a U-Haul and trailer, and then drove home my usual way through Payson.

That was 343 miles, 55% longer.

Can you imagine how proud of myself I was?

I was just glad that I got home safely.

Hopefully I can drive home safely, but the safer route through Payson is 8 miles further and 1 minute longer, so that isn't an issue.

how long does my transmission last if it starts slipping
"Transmissions don’t last forever, but they can last a long time and run well if you take care of them. With minimum effort and not much maintenance you’ll probably get about 100,000 miles out of it." AAMCO Utah

Um?

All things being equal, ordering a 60,000-mile Japanese drivetrain for $1,000 makes more sense than paying much more for a remanufactured one, but YourMechanic claims that one of their affiliates will rebuild mine for $723.

RepairSmith says over $2,000, though, but that is for a rebuild\replacement.

TransmissionRepairCostGuide says my transmission is named BAXA, labor would be 6.9 hours, and $655.50.

They recommending just picking up your own transmission and paying for labor, since they like to mark up parts.

Oh yeah! I can just balance one of those on the handlebars of my bike!

RepairPal only shows estimates for replacements, it would be $3,700 for the gearbox, and everywhere is closed today.

Ah yes! National Garlic Day!

Last thing: Someone posted a 1997 Honda Civic HX on Sunday for $3,200.

Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!

It has 199,000 miles
Quote:
Clean EK , 5sp ,Lowered on JDM Honda SI wheels on good tires , Kenwood stereo w/ Bluetooth. Will need clutch throw out bearing { FUEL SAVER }
The spaces go after the commas!

I never want a lowered car, not in the Phoenix area, and especially not in rural Arizona where it snows, we have dirt roads, and the paved ones aren't great.

I believe that I mentioned this before. I didn't know the difference then and I forgot: Typically an EG is a 92-95 (or 5th Gen) and the EK is the 96-2000 (6th Gen).

Are Si wheels cooler than HX ones?

Clutch throw-out bearings sound important. How else are you supposed to throw out your clutch?!

The car looks fine, but I definitely don't see any justification for the asking price--what on Earth is this?!

I found a rabbit hole in my rabbit hole!

As far as I can tell, that is either a B18B2 from a 1994-2001 Integra:

94 to 01 Honda Acura Integra 1.8l DOHC Engine & 5 SPD Trans Swap JDM B18B2 S80

Or a B20B from a 1996-2001 CRV:

HONDA CRV CRX CIVIC ACURA INTEGRA 2.0L DOHC ENGINE JDM B20B LOW COMPRESSION

The D16Y5 has 115 HP and 104 foot-pounds of torque. The B18B2 has 143 HP and 127 pound-feet of torque, the 1996-1998 B20B has 126-142 HP and 133 foot-pounds of torque, and the 1999-2001 has 148-150 HP and 140-foot-pounds of torque.

Neither of the larger engines comes with VTEC, although it can be added.

I have enough problems without an engine swap!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TO1PKga.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	30531   Click image for larger version

Name:	B18b.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	30533   Click image for larger version

Name:	b20b.jpg
Views:	145