View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
VOLVO
Volvo XC70

Question Diesel high efficiency intercooler upgrade

Hello everyone

I have a 2006 Volvo XC70 with 2.4L 5 cylinder turbo diesel with intercooler. I am looking to improve my fuel economy. Not the best vehicle to be starting with but I wanted something with a little offroad capability.

I have seen that d088 sell a performance upgrade intercooler for this car, they claim to lower the intake temperature aswell as reducing the flow loss through the intercooler.

My existing standard intercooler has a leak, and is fairly blocked up with road debris, so I will be replacing it anyway. I am wondering what extra economy I might achieve by upgrading to the do88 intercooler.

do88 show some graphs showing significantly lower intake temperatures. Below 3000RPM on the graph, the difference in temperature seems to be negligible. The RPM graph goes up to 7000RPM so must have been tested on a petrol engine, not diesel. My red line is 4500RPM.

I suspect at most economy driving speeds the performance intercooler would not be reducing the temperature much, however if it offers less flow resistance this should translate to better fuel economy?

The cost of the performance intercooler is a fair bit more than the standard one.

Any opinions welcome.