View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
reasonable............... calculate

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_a_t_t View Post
Would it be reasonable to test ducts without the car? I have an idea for some cooling ducts for my mercury, but I think it would be easier to make the duct and test with it in a fixture ahead of the car rather than tearing apart the current cooling system to keep playing with it for the different tests.

If the inlet/outlet are in fixed positions would that eliminate not having the car surrounding the duct?

The last question is slightly off topic from the thread title, can you calculate (theoretically or through testing) how much radiator/cooling you need? I am hoping to get my swap (metro engine in the mercury) done this summer and I have a few options for the cooling setup. Use the mercury's radiator, use the metro's radiator, or use something else.
1) it's unlikely that you can achieve the actual dynamic pressure anywhere else than in the actual location of the inlet at the nose. You'd have an unknown quantity out ahead of the car.
2) the inlet/outlet is a 'system' reliant upon all dynamics present in the eventual 'installed' position. Again, I know of no way you could accurately simulate these conditions.
3) you need your design heat flux, then sizing will come from the heat exchanger's manufacturer recommendations, at conditions which match Furnace Creek, Death Valley, California, full sun, summer peak conditions, car parked, idling, maximum passenger load, all accessories 'ON.'
M_a_t_t (04-22-2021), Xist (04-23-2021)