View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
j-c-c
Master EcoModder

"flutter" is bad, and why exactly?

My question centers here on the "why".
This topic was touched on in the recent Bonneville thread, and I felt best not to clutter that thread up, and sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, unknown to me.

It seems bad, it looks bad, and "common sense" seems to indicate its absorbing energy, bending the panel that is fluttering, converting some portion of the energy to heat, I suspect.

But the question here is, is there ANY aero benefit (less overall drag?)by allowing the air to seek a path of lower resistance as the fluttering panel reacts to the varying(/) pressure waves, or is just increasing drag, turbulence, etc?

On a slightly related topic, it has always been the goal in high powered speaker cabinet design, to build cabinets as vibration free as practically possible for the situation, because any cabinet vibration has tonal artifacts, and more pertinent to this thread, wastes acoustic energy converting into mechanical energy and the resultant heating.

So is it a fair conclusion that when ever one sees random panel fluctuations in vehicles due to aero loads, the design is lacking in some degree?