View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post

Off peak rates will cease to exist in the future when individuals and municipalities need to charge their vehicles overnight. The sun doesn’t shine at night and wind is usually reduced. Alternate power isn’t going to cut it. Base load power stations (fossil and nuke, not hydro) will have to make up the difference and they don’t run for free.

In my opinion, Electricity is going to become a lot more expensive in the future...

Yes, if lots of EVs start charging at night that will fill in the power generation valley and flatten the curve. That is WAY cheaper than building out a charging network dependent on fast chargers where everyone fast charges their EV on the way home from work and makes our current very expensive peak rates spike even higher.

The more you fill the current valley the more current infrustructure is utilized and the less new peak generation, transmission, and distribution is needed.

That doesn't even factor in that fast charging degrades batteries faster as does deep discharges. It is better for battery life to slowly charge 30 miles of range every day than to fast charge 210 miles of range once a week.

Diesel for my Sportwagen cost $0.08 per mile
Electricity for my Spark EV cost $0.03 per mile

Electricity would have to get REALLY expensive before driving an ICE car was cheaper than an EV.

Last edited by JSH; 04-23-2021 at 03:59 PM..