View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #541 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I only ever remember using one sick day--for any purpose--and I was legitimately sick. When I came in the next day the administrative assistant said "You sounded horrible on the phone!"
Which sounds like you routinely go to work sick. Most people do.

People at my company have no excuse. We don't have a set number of sick days and you don't have to provide an excuse. The policy is "If you are sick stay home. If you are well come to work". The only time HR is going to be involved is it you are out long enough to qualify for short term disability.

A lot of companies have combined sick days and vacation days so they don't feel the need to police sick days and just have PTO (Paid Time Off). I feel this just makes people more likely to work when sick because they can officially use every PTO day for vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

I'll be 40 this year too. My body started breaking down when I was 30 and I questioned if I'd ever walk again due to a pinched nerve in my back. 2 months and 30 lbs of unintentional weight loss later I regained function and climbed Mt. Rainier.

I'm in much worse shape now with no excuse other than having a kid and being slightly depressed/unmotivated with Covid protocols.
COVID has been the opposite for me. Early last summer my wife's company started streaming workouts first thing in the morning. My wife and started doing those workouts and then subscribed to Peloton directly. Now we do a 20 - 45 minute free weight workout every morning along with yoga 2 - 3 times a week. We also started running together every day about lunch - although my running dropped off in the winter. (I can't get motivated to run in the rain)

With COVID protocols in place and travel pretty much banned we spent way more time than normal hiking, backpacking, fishing, etc on the weekend. We also started burning some vacation days during the week to go cross-country skiing last winter.

Work from home has been great for me. I'm saving 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day by not commuting so that leaves plenty of time to exercise.

I also pinched a nerve in my back when I was about 30. It caused problems on and off for about a decade and finally got so bad I was considering seeing a doctor for surgery. My general practitioner suggested yoga. My wife and I joined a yoga studio and did about 3 session a week. After about a month the back pain was gone. If I slack off on the yoga it starts coming back - which is my signal to hit the mat.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (04-26-2021)