View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 12:58 AM   #58 (permalink)
hotshoetom
EcoModding Lurker

WRXish - '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i wagon 5spd

STIlsh - '09 Subaru WRX Base Sedan

WRXish2 - '07 subaru legacy wagon 2.5 i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Apparently they can make synthetic gasoline from CO2 directly captured from our very own atmosphere. Not that it's cheap to produce, but maybe in some future, internal combustion engines will be a hardcore enthusiast's hobby that requires a very expensive, carbon neutral fuel.

Ya, the whole "it's not currently up to the task" sales pitch is basically the same as saying "innovation has no purpose." I'm not saying the future is definitely electric or that it's going to be synthetic gasoline. But if we don't try to look for better ways of doing things then there's no progress. Maybe the future is neither electric nor internal combustion. Maybe it'll be something else that hasn't even been thought of yet. Or something that's been right there under our noses the whole time.

Personally I think there's too much emphasis on what cars look like and the pride of owning a car, which is really just a tool to get from point A to point B, and not enough emphasis on trying to figure out what would be a beneficial to everything form of transportation or if our insaciable glut for highspeed transportation is even necessary at the scale it is now.

Maybe figure out first where people and goods need and want to be. Offer incentives to make those places as close as possible. Then figure out what would be the best form of transportation between those points, as well as those places not in the usual routine, that not only makes everyone happy but is good for the environment.
Careful there what you are suggesting might take away some basic freedoms we as Americans hold near and dear...especially if it’s implemented by our not so well intentioned government