View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 01:45 AM   #69 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalgas View Post
I was surprised at how good the mileage was on our old subaru forester.Must have been from about 2004, before they got so huge, but after they raised the ride height.I could easily hit 40 mpg on the highway, often at over 70 mph.Subies aren't especially expensive, at least around here, where they are common. Upkeep costs weren't bad for a 15 year old car, we finally sold it after someone rear ended my wife and kids hard enough to make the rear doors bind up. Subaru has been doing full time 4wd longer than anyone, so far as I know (since the70's?) maybe they are better at it than most?
The main problem is the initial cost. Looking on Autotrader there's only two Subarus that are under $3,000 within a 200 mile radius of where I live. And they're so old with so many miles I'm not sure if I want to deal with them. From there, I can get a 20 year old Subaru for nearly $4,000, and they go up from there. I've bought 3 different FWD cars in my lifetime that were $600 or cheaper and ran just fine and were in a 5 mile radius of where I live. Well, at least two did, the $300 Prius needed a battery module replaced and a wheel bearing. But the VW Golf was a beast that seemed immortal except for cheap aftermarket CV joint problems.

I find it hard to believe you got 40mpg in your Subaru, especially at 70mph. I have a hard time getting 40mpg in my Toyota Hybrids. And while I can get a bit more than 40mpg at 55-65mph, I can't seem to be able to get more than 35mpg at 75mph.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 04-29-2021 at 02:50 AM..