View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
CVT is somewhat a misnomer on most hybrid electric cars. They call them eCVT. Technically it is a continuously variable transmission, only it accomplishes the ratio change by running an electric motor/generator at varying speeds in a planetary gearset linked to the ICE.

There's no reason why an eCVT should wear out prematurely even at high load, because the vehicle should be programmed to not operate outside of limits that would cause premature wear. This is why I was not worried to pull 1,800 lbs with my Prius (at slower speeds and plenty of stopping space).
I didn't know there was a difference until a few days ago when I watched that video (I probably should have watched before buying). I always thought all of these were just a CVT and thevE part ment attached to an electric motor. They really should totally change the name to just EVT or something else. CVT has a terrible reputation. I always used to reccomend against buying a car with one with the exception on the Prius. Then I started thinking well if Toyota can build a good one maybe I shouldn't write them all off. Now learning that maybe because they werent really building CVTs, but these ECVTs. Now I worry again about my mom's Subaru.