View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Yea, cold starts and cold climate is sort of a problem for ethanol.
Here in Finland temperatures can be something like -25C to -20C on winter (and a lot more colder when going north), but I have always got my E85 cars started.. even without pre-heating (not possible always).
E85 is not available in my country, with E96h (hydrated ethanol) having been mainstream instead. Older dedicated-ethanol and earlier flexfuels resorted to an auxiliary gasoline tank, but since 2011 it's falling out of favor while heater elements powered by the vehicle's own battery and placed either at the fuel rail or right next the injectors became a preferable cold-start aid. Needless to say it only applies to port-injection engines, while direct-injection ones don't resort to any cold-start aid to enable operation with ethanol.

Quote:
Maybe I could fabricate another inlet for airbox and a sealed flap between cold and hot air inlets (from exhaust headers).. and control it with a cable untill I figure out if it works or not (for fuel economy).
Like atleast Volvo had on their '90's cars atleast, but it was thermostat controlled (and nowadays most are broken = stuck at half way or for the hot side).
You mean something comparable to the Thermac valve?