View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #88 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
What's the most efficient vehicle design that's still "practical"? I know a lot of people think short range EV's aren't practical even if they live in urban environments that fulfill 95% of their distance needs. The same goes for a design like an Aptera. Even if it meets 95% of your hauling capacity needs, it isn't enough.

For reference, the Kona EV has a Cd of 0.29 the Ioniq has a Cd of 0.25, the Aptera has a Cd of 0.13 and the most aerodynamic vehicles ever built have a Cd of around .045.

But in the end, the whole build out of DC quick charging stations and new EV's only being available to the upper few percent of the population who prefer big and boxy, not to mention lack of home charging capability for the masses, all means that the EV revolution is still a long way away.

And personally, I'm not hyped about my next vehicle 10 or 15 years or so from now being a used crossover EV that by then I still probably won't have a place to charge it at our apartment faster than some 25 or 30 miles per night off of 120V.