View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
The availability of public chargers today should be way better than in 2012-2018. Over here 5 years ago public chargers were not that common. Now it is hard to find a parking lot of any size without charging options.
In the US it doesn't make sense to drive an EV if you have to rely on primarily on public chargers. Gas is cheap and public chargers are expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
What about the lease is up and gassers are now cheaper to lease? I dunno, all my stuff is at least 10 years old.
That is why I'm driving a gas car to work today.

I leased my 2016 Spark EV because it was $100 a month and I could charge for free at work. $100 a month was cheap enough to be considered fun money and a way to try out living with an EV even if it didn't make financial sense. When the lease was up the cheapest EV lease I could find was $200 - $250 a month.

My wife was riding her bicycle to work 4 days a weeks so it made absolutely no sense to buy another car instead of just having her drive the van to work 1 day a week. Now she has a new job with a 50 mile commute so she is driving the TDI.

Last week my employer told us we were returning to work on a hybrid model: 3 days in office, 2 days home. I'm planning on riding the Piaggio MP3 and picked up an new airbag vest last week.

Even if I didn't have motorcycles to ride there is no math that makes sense to buy or lease an EV instead of driving the van 3 days a week. (600 miles / 15 mpg = 40 gallons * $3 / gal = $120 a month)
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Vwbeamer (05-04-2021)