View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I'm one person who got rid of their EV and went back to gasoline.

It had something to do with being stranded in the middle of nowhere in a snow storm.

That and you need to install a level 2 EVSE on your home if you want it to take you farther than your normal walking/biking distance every day.

That and to this day the EV charging infrastructure hasn't really grown here. There are still the same two 6kW charging stations in town. One has one place to charge and the other two, so you could charge 3 cars all at 6kW at the same time. That's it. Going east there was one Tesla super charging station put in 60 miles from here a couple years ago. West and south there's practically nothing still for hundreds of miles. Going north 30 miles there was one ChargePoint station installed. But going north leads to a dead end most of the year and so doesn't make much sense.

When I had the Leaf I did a lot of 120V 15amp charging, even on long (400-700 miles) road trips. That made the trips really long.

Until there's a mega-watt charging station at every corner or landlords are forced to install +50AMP 240V charging cords for all their tenants there's no point in getting an EV again for me. If it's for short distances we all as a family have told ourselves several times we all need the exercise, so what's the point of spending tens of thousands of dollars on something that helps us not walk or bike? If it's for long distances, there needs to be a way to charge it faster than 5 miles an hour.