View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
If you make alcholic beverages, you always get methanol and other esters, every time.
I'm aware of this happening with distillated beverages such as whisky, rhum and cachaça.

Quote:
Wine has a small methanol component in every bottle, just small enough to not do much harm drinking a liter or so.
Maybe it's so low that the substantially higher ethanol content prevents it to do actual harm. Once a chemistry teacher said drinking ethanol was actually the best way to reduce the damage caused by an accidental intoxication with methanol.

Quote:
Some of the plant products contain a sugar that yeast makes into it.
Maltodextrin?

Quote:
In the wild, anything with a sugar component (tastes sweet) will make it if you aren't worried if its methanol or ethanol.
That's exactly why I was considering fruits as a feedstock, since most taste quite sweet. I have even seen some industrialized foods and beverages with apple juice added in order to decrease the usage of refined sugar.

Quote:
Straw bales comes to mind.
The so-called 2nd-generation ethanol is often pointed out to require more processing in order to break down some of its polysaccharides in order to brew ethanol out of them.