View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
different

1) the Carrera's radiator chosen, was thermodynamically superior to what it replaced ( a non-aerodynamic modification ).
2) 'blower-assisted' horsepower was increased 25%. ( a non-aerodynamic modification ).
3) Coolant temperature was allowed a 10% excursion ( a non-aerodynamic modification ).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) much of what allowed the Carrera to have a smaller cooling drag footprint had nothing to do with aerodynamics.
5) Dr. Wolf admitted that, in a 'track' environment, the dynamic pressure would be inadequate to protect the engine from overheat, requiring the 'blower-assisted' increment.
6) This 'blower-assisted' cooling isn't reflected in the car's drag coefficient. It's different from most cars.
7)On most cars, above 40-mph, you could throw the cooling fan away, and the car would be just fine. I've done this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8) if you take the portion of energy actually required to cool the Carrera, it is equivalent to increasing the cooling drag coefficient, by approximately 546%.
This is what got me shaking my cage.