View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 12:16 AM   #34 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I clamped a straight 2x6 to the tablesaw fence and trimmed the curved part of the inside edge, but it didn't seem like an 8' board was long enough, so I flipped it over, trimmed the offensive part of the other side, flipped it back, and straightened out that first side again.

It fit!

Mom claimed that it was an inch narrower than the other boards, but I measured it, and the difference was a whopping 1/16".

She was only off by a factor of 16!

Since everyone knows a layer of paint is 4 mil I put on one layer of primer and 7 of paint. Now it looks like it has been there 30 years and has been painted multiple times!

I haven't measured it again. I am not going to. Mom can do push-ups.

I don't know what happened. I needed to carefully line up the top board and put a screw into the bottom left. The top is off-center by 1/4" and there is an 1/8" gap between the window and the top board, but I don't think it looks bad from... space.

I sanded down the high spots after 4 total coats, but not after I finished. There were some runs on the ends, but I don't think that created the gap, I needed to mess with the top board because there was originally a gap in one corner.

I need to cut, prime, and paint 3 more boards. I don't know if I already planed them. If I use the tablesaw instead of the planer, they will actually be flat, right?

Mom keeps ordering me to work on other projects--or drop what I am doing for dinner (I don't--there isn't enough daylight!). My sister keeps saying that she will bring Mom a larger freezer and haul off the current one. She announced that she was coming today, so I kept making time to organize the garage yet again.

Mom insists that she cannot close the freezer, not because she buys food faster than she uses it, or because my brother never tries to organize the food he puts there, he just throws it in, but because of all of my food.

I may have two bags of peas in there. Here is the crazy thing: If I had food in there I would eat it!

Of course, Mom claims that her garage is a mess, not because she refuses to clean it out, even when I finally managed to convince her to promise to, or because she has an entire carload of Christmas decorations, but because of all of my car parts.

My dash? Am I supposed to fix that car or work on all of her projects?!

My sister bailed, though, which means that we won't have anyone here in the immediate future with the capacity to transport a freezer--or unwanted mattresses wasting space in the garage.

It also means that I needed to put everything back, and now I will need to create a path if or when she finally visits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim 6.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	30611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim 5.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	30612