View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
When I got my IMA system working, at last, my gas mileage got worse at first because of all the times it wanted to go in to regen when I'd normally not-quite-coast in gear (the engine drag is very minor in higher gears)...I had to retrain myself to hold the throttle ever-so-slightly open(Keeping it >150mpg) unless I wanted to shift in to neutral (at which point I would pick up too much speed). Was rather annoying.
You can avoid this problem entirely by installing a clutch switch. I often use mine on the highway to avoid Regen+DFCO drag and just get DFCO drag. It also prevents hidden background charging of the IMA battery.

An OBDIIC&C gauge will let you see background charge.

EFAS would let you easily engine-off-coast at highway speeds if you really wanted to turn your car into the Space Shuttle, but the clutch switch and OBDIIC&C will help a lot with the issue you're mentioning here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
One other option .. You could also combine FAS with IMA motor (MIMA or IMA-C&C) to rev up the ICE , without using any gasoline for the power/energy to do the ICE reving .. keeping zero gasoline flow the entire rev-up time .. once at desired RPM and in desired gear enter regen as desired.
I didn't realize this could be done!! I guess I finally have a compelling reason to install MIMA. I don't have a plug-and-play version, I've got like a box full of extras to make a kit for it that Mike sold me at a discount. I never got around to installing it because it looked like a big job.