View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLongRaceTeam View Post
@Isaac Zachary
Well, cars that loud, small and noisy you might find still in india.

But if you want to buy an newer decent real economic Diesel car in the US, its not VW its the Chevrolet Cruze 1.6.
Not the best reputation in the US for the gas versions, had some issues with warranty in the first model (Cracking coolant reservoir), but in general reliable and rugged.

A swiss hypermiler was (is?) holding an record with the same engine in a Opel (Buick Regal) 3,46Liter (67mpg) and 2111km with one fillup.
Ya, the Cruze had crossed my mind. It wasn't that ithe Golf was diesel, noisy or made thick black clouds of smoke that made me like the car. It was that the car had some 500,000 miles on it and no signs it was going to ever die. The car felt immortal, even after all those miles. I drove it 14 times down into Mexico and back with it's never failing me, ever. Well, except for one small thing that was kind of my fault and was an easy 15 minute fix.

That, and it was very economical to drive. Once I drove over 600 miles and could only get 10.5 gallons into the fuel tank. And that was without any ecomods or really trying to get good fuel mileage. The car had only cost me $600 to begin with.

Another thing I loved about it was the extreme weight bias. The front was way heavier than the rear making it drive like a tank through snow without the need for AWD. (Although at higher speeds it did understeer quite a bit.)

I guess the manual shifter and low power also made it fun for me (I know, I'm weird.)

The person I sold it to is thinking of getting rid of it and I'm wondering if I should go get it from him. I just don't know of any other cars that get some 50mpg, that feel like they can make 500k miles without needing so much as a sparkplug change and that feels fun to drive for someone who doesn't like to go fast.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 05-09-2021 at 09:47 PM..