View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
The fans will run at whatever their predetermined speed is, typically there are two speed settings. The current draw is due to the different amount of work the fans are doing.

As the fans are being assisted by the flow of air forced through the radiator, it reduces the power requirement for any given fan speed.

I didn't read the entire thread, just cruising through so I apologize if I missed it. One possible fix for keeping the A/C from running the fans would be to have a secondary relay that interrupts the circuit below a set speed. Or even a separate fan controller at a different temperature monitoring the hot side of the refrigerant.
My car has a very basic 1 speed fan setup that runs at full speed whenever the AC compressor is engaged or whenever the coolant temp gets to 207 degrees.

I did add a secondary relay to shut the fans off with a manual switch above around 50 MPH, but it would be nice to have some type of automatic system so I don't have to think about it and so there's no chance of me forgetting to turn the fans back on, but I'm not sure how I would do that.

The Dakota Digital fan controller has an option to shut the fans off above the speed the user selects. They recommend disabling the fans above 35 MPH. But that setup would also cost $230 for the controller and the separate module and it's hard to justify spending so much on something that would make so little difference, even though it would be cool and fun to play with.