View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
I had the GM synchromesh fluid put in my Tracker transmission on its first change. These tranny's tend to grind the 1st to 2nd shift and that fluid was supposed to help. I have to say I didn't notice better shifting at the time. So for the next change I just went with cheap conventional fluid and noticed that it seems to make the 1 to 2 shift take slightly more effort but its less likely to grind.
I now just wait for the rpms to match before making the shift and it works fine. I have no stop and go traffic so I make the 1-2 shift about 10 times on the way to work so no big deal.

As for friction, I don't think the dealer put in synthetic fluid in the difs or transfer case but I think I am getting more rolling resistence after I put in all conventional oils. It amazes me how much better my neon rolls than the tracker and that extra friction only costs me 6 or 7 mpg. Next change I'm going all synthetic and thin as possible so I'll have to do an A-B comparison on rolling resistence. I imagine in winter the savings should be significant as you can feel all the fluid warm up and the resistence decrease!
Ian