View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
AeroMcAeroFace
Long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I do believe there's only one way to get +40mpg permanently out of this vehicle. An EV conversion. If it's a hybrid you apparently already have half the parts to do it. Next step would be to fill the vehicle up with more batteries. (It'll be heavier, which is what you want anyway, right?) Add a way to charge them and figure out how to cheat the system so the ICE won't turn on. And Violà! A 45mpg-e vehicle!
I agree but the original post said "times are tough and it's 3.99 a gallon here" batteries would be so expensive that it wouldn't be worth it. If the poster wants american cars then the Chevrolet Volt easily gets at least 40-45mpg on the highway.

The tahoe is worth $10 000 - $15 000 according to autotempest ads in california and a base model Volt is currently for sale in california for under $10 000. Sometimes the best mod, is a car swap.

Less likely to tip over, newer, better MPG, lighter, safer in a crash. Isn't a prius, fits all the criteria Tahoe_Hybrid mentions.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...paign=atempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You know where the engine's BSFC sweet spot is. If all efficiency gain is to come at 45-mph, and only from aero drag reduction, then, after streamlining, the Tahoe's gearing must be such that is absolutely matches the load you're seeing now, keeping it on the same BSFC pounds per brake horsepower-hour island, perhaps requiring a Gear-Vendors overdrive unit if you can't find a ring and pinion tall enough.
But the weight of the vehicle and rolling resistance means than 40MPG is pretty much impossible, even if aero drag was zero (obviously impossible), but even if the aero drag was zero, the maximum mpg according to the calculator is 42MPG https://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero-rolling-resistance.php?Weight=2500&WeightUnits=kg&CRR=.015 &Cd=0&FrontalArea=20&FrontalAreaUnits=ft^2&FuelWh= 33557&IceEfficiency=.22&DrivetrainEfficiency=.95&P arasiticOverhead=0&rho=1.225&FromToStep=5-200-5
I agree with what you say aerohead about regearing, I am just disagreeing on the practicality in this specific case.

Last edited by AeroMcAeroFace; 05-14-2021 at 12:56 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to AeroMcAeroFace For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-14-2021)