View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
AeroMcAeroFace
Long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
At #25 permalink, the Tahoe, at Cd 0.37, was already achieving 40-mpg at 45-mph, with it's existing aero, mass, and tires.
I don't know what the 'target' velocity is, so I'm asking.
The Tahoe could be looking at Cd 0.10 pulling a 1-wheeled, gap-filled, full-boat-tailed, tadpole trailer, so there's some wiggle room on travel velocity.
Unfortunately the key word there is could, I agree, that with vast modification and streamlining, full undertray and near full boat tail the Cd could be near to 0.1, but realistically this person is looking for easy mods to get to at least 40-45mpg highway, even if you count 45mph as highway, it is still a tall order aerodynamically to even get to 45mpg without significant rolling resistance decrease.

I may have been pessimistic in my assumption of Crr at 0.015 but even with very LRR tyres (probably not available for a car of that weight) at 0.01 and absolutely no aero drag, 64mpg is all that is achievable.

Quote:
Everyone's circumstances are different. It sounds like the OP wants the Tahoe because he thinks it's safer, not because he needs more space.

My thoughts are that as a fad there's a lot of propaganda to make SUV's seem better than they are, and safety is one of them. Statistically there is no fine line between SUV's and alternatives such as sedans. (Sorry for beating the dead horse a again.)
Everything is a compromise, very often what you think you need is different to what you actually need.
The Following User Says Thank You to AeroMcAeroFace For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-19-2021)