View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

I put my 55-inch Wilson 500 magnet-mount antenna on the roof of my Mazda3 or a 63-inch Wilson 1000 on the roof of my F250 diesel when towing an RV trailer on long trips.

The 11-year sun-cycle that allows the CB radio signal to travel far and wide is beginning to come into play.

On a trip in South Louisiana a couple of days ago, I was hearing radio conversations all up-and-down the East Coast, from Philly to Florida coming from many channels.

Normally, I have my CB on Channel 19, the truckers' channel, to listen for any traffic holdups on the Interstates, especially wrecks that can take a long time to clear. A number of times I've been able to divert around the problems because of information I got on the CB. This can be a significant time-saver in such places like I-10 in Louisiana which goes over the swamps between Lafayette and Baton Rouge.

Yeah, due to the variety of equipment quality and distances involved and some of the fast-talking truckers and folks just cutting up, it's not easy to understand what's being said. But I've often found keeping in touch with traffic conditions via the CB radio is worth the effort.