View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Not to make excuses for Chrysler, but no minivan transmission was worse than the Honda Odyssey. Once they made the Honda a real minivan with sliding doors, then stuck a V6 in it, it made the Chrysler transmission seem like a dream.

We once thought we were having a failed transmission on my dad's 150k mile 90's Caravan but come to find out the independent transmission shop had flushed it with general spec GM fluid from the time period about 6 months prior. It even said that fluid was acceptable on the dipstick. I guess acceptable for an emergency because once we switched it back to whatever AT3 Chrysler specific fluid was right, there was never a problem again past 200,000 miles when it was sold. I can't imagine how many transmissions were rebuilt those years when really all they needed was a fluid change back to the correct fluid. Similar story on that 2000 we had, started not shifting correctly, but a Jeep dealer of all places was able to just fix a under $200 speed sensor and we never had an issue again. I always wondered if a less honest shop would have just thrown a $1400 transmission at it becuase of the poor reputation they had.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-17-2021), samwichse (05-17-2021)