View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ford Man
Master EcoModder

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
I saw a weird gas price sign the other day.

It's one of those large electronic signs with the LEDS in the shape of a rectangular "8".

The price looked like it said "-1.09".

A couple summers ago, I was working out in the middle of nowhere. There was a REALLY old-fashioned gas station which still had pumps with mechanical counters. Those counters only went up to .999 dollars per gallon.
There was a hand-written sign on the pump saying to double or triple the number on the pump for what you actually pay.

Anyone else seen gas pumps that can't even tell the right price? Got a photo of it?
It's been a whole since I saw one of those old pumps. They were common back in the late 70's and early '80's when gas had just went over the $1.00 mark, but most stations now have replaced them with the newer digital type. It's bad when you pull into a station and it says multiply total times 5 to get actual cost. I did see a station recently that when you pulled in the price on the pump was representing the price per 1/2 gallon. I guess they were too ashamed to put the actual price on the pump or they were hoping people wouldn't stop to figure how much it came to per gallon, but they did have a sign stating this was the price per 1/2 gallon. I know I started to buy some gas there until I figured what the actual price was.

Last edited by Ford Man; 10-02-2008 at 02:47 PM..