View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
lostape
EcoModding Lurker

aveo mpg

Hello again... thanks for the response.
I have a 2005 SVM with a manual transmission. When I bought it the EPA rating was 35mpg highway which is the max I've ever been able to get. I drive 30 miles to work over mostly rolling easy roads at an average of 50mph. I do not have a scangauge but would like to get one at some point. I have done everything from maintaining tire pressure, trying different octanes of gas, coasted down hills, turned off the engine at stops and drive-throughs, put in "better" spark-plugs, etc. I keep track of mileage by dividing my trip miles by the number of gallons for my fill-up. My favorite "ride" was a 1994 geo metro 5 door with a manual transmission... always made an easy 40mpg average but the rust just took over at 169,000 miles.
I thought of a modification that would cut out a cylinder and the gas to it but then figured there were be more problems than the experiment was worth. I just wish they would make this car with a 3 cylinder geo metro engine/transmission combo. Who cares that I have over 100 hp? I'm not worried about winning races. I had a trailer hitch on my metro and towed my snowmobile, dump-runs, or riding lanwmower without any trouble. (I have a trailer hitch on the aveo too... inexpensive "truck")... (I can only get 29 mpg when pulling the trailer fully loaded).
Thanks for keeping me in the loop on any new ideas.