View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Now let me shed some reality on the project.

We start off behind the eight ball because it is a unibody car. Laying down the A-pillars, means you have to cut them in order to get to the angle you want. By doing so you drastically reduce the strength of the vehicle as A-pillars, B-pillars are the major areas for both crumple zones and rigidity for impact.

Once you get past the windshield, the roof will have to be segmented to make up for the shortened length & the B-pillars have to be cut to meet the new lowered height. Once you do this the doors no longer close so those have to be modified, along with the glass. Here you can go with lexan, but cut glass means non tempered which is dangerous.

Reconstructing the rear will challenge anyone because the hatch becomes useless, therefore new metal has to be shaped to cover the area while retaining the strength of the original components. New glass will need to be made for the hatch area, heavy bracing will have to go around the b-pillars and in support of the rear of the car. Kinda like a roll cage. Believe it or not reshaping the bumper will be easy, however reshaping the wheel wells, not so much.

If you manage to get past all the metal work and your car doesn't leak, then its time to tackle the interior and reconstruction of all the plastic pieces inside the car that do not fit. From this point on it becomes the expense of all custom fabricated parts.

This is not a DIY project by any means unless you are willing to throw away the car. Work like this is a challenge for the most experienced hotrod shop and should never be taken lightly. Often times it is done strictly to show cars and for very practical reasons. No one can guarantee their safetly over time or in accidents. Once you cut and weld metal you weaken it.

I am planning a similar mod for my xB, for show reasons, and it is something that we have been planning for 2 years. We may be ready to make first cuts in the coming months.

If your goal is 50mpg that is not the best way to get there, I am almost there with a relatively stock Vibe and it is no where near as aero as your civic.

Its an incredible project, but often done by those who have nothing to lose and the skill to DIY it. If you were building a $50K show car, I'd be the first to help you plan, but to save gas .. no way.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???